Good Hope Church

Good Hope Baptist Church

General Delivery Radiant, VA 22732 • 540.672.0512
Kyle Balderson, Pastor • 540.672.2478
kbalderson@ns.gemlink.com

Schedule: Sunday

Sunday School - 9:45 a.m.
Worship - 11:00 a.m.

Wednesday

Bible Study and Prayer - 7:30 p.m.
Choir Practice - 8:00 p.m.

Upcoming Events:

A Brief History

The newly organized Good Hope Baptist Church made application for admission to the Shiloh Baptist Association on September 5, 1828, at the annual meeting of the Association. According to the minutes of the Shiloh Association, Good Hope's first pastor, Elder Oliver Welch, was present when the church was received as a member. These minutes also indicate that by September 1834 the membership of Good Hope Church had increased to 116.

The first clerk to be mentioned in the minutes was John H. Yager, who was followed by Benjamin Roberts. Soloman H. McIntire was the first treasurer reported and was followed by John B. Smoot. Martin Lohr was the first Sunday School Superintendent when it was organized, March 14, 1869. Services were held on both Saturday and Sunday in the early days of the church.

During 1870-71 the black members requested their own church, and the Good Hope membership helped them organized and build Locust Grove Baptist Church located about one and a half miles east on Route 616.

The core of the present church building, which includes hand-hewn and pegged beams, was erected in 1877. The Shiloh Baptist Association met at Good Hope and the new building was dedicated on Tuesday, August 28, 1877.

During the early years, Good Hope was one of a "field" of churches served by the same pastor. In 1950, Good Hope left the church field and was served by student pastors for approximately ten years. Jack Coker was called by the church in 1961 as its first full-time resident pastor. At this time the church membership grew, making necessary several additions to the church building and construction of a parsonage.

The educational building project was completed, a church steeple was erected which included a bell, an air conditioning system for the sanctuary was installed, and the rotation system for deacons was adopted during the pastorate of Leonard C. Vimpeny in the early 70's. Under the leadership of interim pastor Ryland Reamy, the church adopted the unified budget system on March 8, 1972.

December 7, 1975, was the date for the "Note Burning" and dedication service. The note burning was to celebrate the retirement of the debt incurred by the construction of an educational building and fellowship hall. Dedication of new choir robes and sanctuary light fixtures completed the service.

The parsonage was enlarged in 1976 by adding a family room, pastor's study, office, as well as a utility room and an additional bathroom. Rev. and Mrs. Richard Englert held an open house for the members to view the addition on October 10, 1976.

November of 1977, the deacons and their wives began an annual tradition of entertaining the widows and single seniors of the church with a fellowship dinner. This custom began under the leadership of Rev. Edwin Shuman, interim pastor, and continues today during the month of May.

One of the highlights in the life of Good Hope was the Sesquicentennial Celebration that was held September 17, 1978. Rev. Timothy Teates, pastor of Good Hope, was the morning speaker. Dr. William P. Tuck, former pastor and association Professor of Preaching at Southern Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky, gave the anniversary message in the afternoon. Special projects for the celebration were the restoration of the old pump organ and the painting on the baptistry wall which was dedicated during the afternoon service.

In January 1979 we began our first radio broadcast of Sunday Worship Services on station WJMA Orange. We broadcast at least two months out of each year depending on how many area churches are participating.

On March 9, 1980, a Laotian refugee family of seven arrived in Madison County. Good Hope, in cooperation with the Madison Presbyterian Church and Beth car Baptist Church in Madison, furnished housing, food, and necessary items to begin housekeeping, plus employment for the head of the household. The churches supplied the necessary funds until the family was able to support itself. The family is now self-supporting, and the adults have become citizens of the United States.

The deacon board adopted the Family Ministry Plan in January 1986 and continues this practice today. John Green became interim pastor in November 1984 and pastor in October 1985. He was succeeded by, Dewey Powell, who came in 1999. The present pastor is Kyle Balderson.

Edward VanEvery, one of our members, left on November 14, 1990, for Tanzania to serve two weeks as a member of the Shiloh Partnership Missions Team to help construct churches. Also, Jane Moncrief, a young person who grew up in Good Hope, went to Africa as a missionary journeyman for two years and returned in July 1990.

Good Hope continues to share in the fellowship of the Shiloh Baptist Association while striving to fulfill the challenge of the Great Commission.

We are a member of the Shiloh Baptist Association

14237 Chestnut Fork Rd. Culpeper, Virginia 22701 • (540) 829-6947 sba@shilohbaptistassociation.org

-- end of NedStat code -->